WordPress 4.3 Beta 1 is now available!
This software is still in development, so we don’t recommend you run it on a production site. Consider setting up a test site just to play with the new version. To test WordPress 4.3, try the WordPress Beta Tester plugin (you’ll want “bleeding edge nightlies”). Or you can download the beta here (zip).
4.3 is due out next month, but to get there, we need your help testing what we’ve been working on:
- Menus can now be managed with the Customizer, which allows you to live preview changes you’re making without changing your site for visitors until you’re ready. We’re especially interested to know if this helps streamline the process of setting up your site (#32576).
- Take control of another piece of your site with the Site Icon feature. You can now manage your site’s favicon and app icon from the admin area (#16434).
- We put a lot of work into Better Passwords throughout WordPress. Now, WordPress will limit the life time of password resets, no longer send passwords via email, and generate and suggest secure passwords for you. Try it out and let us know what you think! (#32589)
- We’ve also added Editor Improvements. Certain text patterns are automatically transformed as you type, including * and - transforming into unordered lists, 1. and 1) for ordered lists, > for blockquotes and one to six number signs (#) for headings (#31441).
- We’ve improved the list view across the admin dashboard. Now, when you view your posts and pages on small screen devices, columns are not truncated and can be toggled into view (#32395).
Developers: There have been a few of changes for you to test as well, including:
- Taxonomy Roadmap: Terms shared across multiple taxonomies will now be split into separate terms on update to 4.3. Please let us know if you hit any snags (#30261).
- Added singular.php to the template hierarchy as a fallback for single.php and page.php. (#22314).
- The old Distraction Free Writing code was removed (#30949).
- List tables now can (and often should) have a primary column defined. We’re working on a fallback for existing custom list tables but right now they likely have some breakage in the aforementioned responsive view (#25408).
If you want a more in-depth view of what changes have made it into 4.3, check out all 4.3-tagged posts on the main development blog.
If you think you’ve found a bug, you can post to the Alpha/Beta area in the support forums. We’d love to hear from you! If you’re comfortable writing a reproducible bug report, file one on the WordPress Trac. There, you can also find a list of known bugs and everything we’ve fixed so far.
Site icons for all
Live preview menu changes
Four three beta now
As more and more businesses go for cloud computing, it is inevitable that many companies will offer cloud computing solutions. Salesforce.com is an industry leader when it comes to cloud computing solutions. There are several reasons for this.
In consequence of adopting the new structure and methodology by the leadership teams, the Structure Team proposed a procedure for the formation of the Transition Team. The Transition Team will be tasked with providing guidance and processes to transition into the new structure.
The process outlined below was debated and voted on by the leadership teams, and adopted with 23 votes cast, and all in favor.
- The Transition Team will consist of 9 members, which includes 3 leadership liaisons (one from each leadership team, chosen by that team), and 6 people to be elected from the community and/or leadership.
- Nomination or self-nominations should be open to anyone from the current Leadership and the community at large.
- How will the nominations be conducted and by whom?
The Structure Team will conduct the nominations process, which consists of:
- putting out the call for nominations (providing a form for that)
- contacting nominees who did not nominate themselves to confirm their interest
- setting up interviews with the nominees and carrying them out, and making those results available to all leadership team members
- discussing the candidates within the team
- create a short list of candidates to share with the leadership - LT can comment.
- voting on the candidates will be done by the entire leadership on a private ballot form. The votes will be counted by the Secretary of the Board as well as two community members, also to be chosen during the nominations process
- contacting all nominees to thank them for their interest
- announcing the results
With the agreement on this process by the leadership teams, the Structure Team will prepare a call for nominations and follow the timeline below to proceed with the process.
- Call for Transition Team nominations July 7 - July 21
- Transition Team selection (interviewing, creating shortlist, vote) July 28 - August 11
- Transition Team is announced August 12
- Structure Team is dissolved August 12
Forum discussion thread: http://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=704&t=890511
APIs are nothing new. The application programming interface used by developers as routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications has been around for some time. APIs are used as building blocks that allow programmers to write an application much quicker and more efficiently than would happen without APIs. Despite APIs being around for quite some time, I can't tell you how many times this year non-developers have approached me to talk about APIs. APIs is no longer a topic just being discussed by developers but also by their managers and even the company executives.
Companies, government, and organizations are realizing that managing and controlling their APIs can offer a strategic advantage. Software providers are noticing this renewed interest in the libraries of code and services offered. Here now in 2015, we're seeing a new crop of tools and platforms that allow programmers to better publish and manage their APIs.
This week, WaveMaker, Inc., a leading enterprise application Platform-as-a-Service (aPaaS) software company, announced WaveMaker Gateway, a bundle of tools enabling enterprises to open their APIs to the external world. WaveMaker extends its suite of API tools beyond publishing, wrapping, and sharing APIs within the enterprise, allowing authorized partners and third-party developers to consume APIs vital to their business, and allowing API owners to eliminate risks from unintended users.
The Joomla! Event Traveller Programme (JET) is pleased to announce that we will be taking applications from the worldwide Joomla community for the upcoming Joomla! World Conference, to be held on November 6-8, 2015 in Bangalore, India.
The JET Programme is an initiative that was created to support active project volunteers and community members who have dedicated time and energy to make Joomla better, and who would like to attend larger Joomla events, such as the Joomla! World Conference and J and Beyond. The JET Programme will cover the cost of the admission ticket and will provide assistance with travel and lodging for the conference.The Deadlines
July 15: Deadline for application
July 25: Recipients selected and notified
July 30: Public announcement in a blogpost on joomla.org
September 30: All tickets must booked
The criteria to be followed by the JET Team for the election of candidates is as follows:
- Applications of the candidates will be arranged in accordance with the contributions made to the Joomla project (especially during the last year) based on the information enclosed in the application and duly proven with recommendations from team or working group leaders.
- Subsequently, all applicants will be accepted in order of appearance in the final list until the estimated budget for this edition of the JET Programme is reached.
- This is an opportunity for the entire Joomla community, however, priority will be given to those participants who have not yet received a JET recognition.
- The JET Team will give special consideration to well written applications that include details and timeframes of their participation in the Joomla project.
- You must have a valid passport and be eligible for any necessary travel visas. Please contact your local Embassy to know if a travel visa is required. Expenses to acquire any travel documents are not included with the JET recognition.
We encourage you to apply using this form http://events.joomla.org/jet. Please note, these criteria and conditions must be met. Please read the guidelines carefully. Good luck!The JET Team
The Joomla Event Traveller Programme team members are:
- Dianne Henning (JET Team Lead, Community Leadership Team)
- Guillermo Bravo (Community Leadership Team)
- Roland Dalmulder (Production Leadership Team)
- Jess Dunbar (Production Leadership Team)
- Saurabh Shah (Open Source Matters)
- Radek Suski (Joomla Events Team)
Welcome the future of website building tools! MotoCMS has officially launched its new 3.0 version with refreshed website and blog. This user-friendly content management system offers responsive templates with fully-rebuilt admin panel, visual content manager and tons of new widgets, plugins and features.
Alpnames smashed through the half million mark last night in terms of domain under management. As an ICANN accredited registrar specialising in new generic Top Level Domains, Alpnames manages nearly 8% of all new gTLD names registered to date making it the second most popular new gTLD registrar after the industry giant GoDaddy and recently overtaking the first and longest standing registrar Network Solutions (part of web.com).
Spring brought to South Dakota plenty of rain. The lawns are green, the flowers are in full bloom, and it seems we can't go beyond a couple days without a rain shower or thunderstorm. While water is usually plenty for my city, we do things smart around here and restrict water usage for our lawns year round. It's not uncommon in my part of the country to see the weather pattern quickly change from wet to dry. What once was green can turn brown in a hurry.
If you want a green yard when summer is in full swing, you will do best to respect the water restrictions and program your sprinkler controller the smartest way possible. Here in my city, watering lawns is not allowed during the hours of 12 p.m to 5 PM. Homeowners with even-numbered addresses may water lawns on even-numbered calendar dates and users with odd-numbered addresses may water lawns on odd-numbered calendar dates. Last summer though, my traditional sprinkler controller decided this responsibility was too much of a burden. The failing controller couldn't even keep the time of day correctly yet alone maintain an ideal watering schedule. So this May, I replaced my failing controller with Blossom's Smart Watering Controller in hopes of a greener lawn and a better sprinkler system.
Inversoft, the industry’s leading provider of solutions for growing, managing, and protecting online communities, today unveiled CleanSpeak 3.0, the most advanced version of its enterprise-grade moderation and profanity filtering software aimed at helping businesses foster active online communities, protect their customers’ online experience, and assure the appropriate quality of user-generated content. With CleanSpeak 3.0, businesses can improve customer trust and loyalty, establish integrity by communicating brand values, reduce customer churn and support costs, solicit feedback for product improvement and development, and augment upsell and cross-marketing activities.
Enterprises don’t want to simply create content in the dark-- to justify and strategically direct content production, they need intelligence helping them determine with content resonates with consumers across these channels.
The cloud is where you need to be. At least that’s what companies are being told these days. The hype surrounding cloud computing is difficult to ignore, and organizations are responding by moving to the cloud in droves. This surge in cloud adoption makes the whole movement seem more like a fad at times, but it’s important to note that cloud computing does bring some significant benefits to the table. In other words, there’s a reason businesses are jumping on the bandwagon. At the same time, all this transitioning to the cloud can lead to mistakes, especially when companies aren’t prepared for the challenges and pitfalls they may encounter. A number of mistakes have become all too common and often lead to more costly implementations and frustrated IT workers. Businesses should take care to avoid some of the more prevalent cloud transition mistakes that crop up.
Drupal 7.38 and Drupal 6.36, maintenance releases which contain fixes for security vulnerabilities, are now available for download. See the Drupal 7.38 and Drupal 6.36 release notes for further information.Download Drupal 7.38
Download Drupal 6.36
Upgrading your existing Drupal 7 and 6 sites is strongly recommended. There are no new features or non-security-related bug fixes in these releases. For more information about the Drupal 7.x release series, consult the Drupal 7.0 release announcement. More information on the Drupal 6.x release series can be found in the Drupal 6.0 release announcement.Security information
We have a security announcement mailing list and a history of all security advisories, as well as an RSS feed with the most recent security advisories. We strongly advise Drupal administrators to sign up for the list.
Drupal 7 and 6 include the built-in Update Status module (renamed to Update Manager in Drupal 7), which informs you about important updates to your modules and themes.Bug reports
Drupal 7.38 and 6.36 were released in response to the discovery of security vulnerabilities. Details can be found in the official security advisory:
To fix the security problem, please upgrade to either Drupal 7.38 or Drupal 6.36.Known issues
None.Front page news: Planet DrupalDrupal version: Drupal 6.xDrupal 7.x
Appogee Leave for Office launched bringing online absence management to Microsoft customers
Appogee has today announced the launch of “Appogee Leave for Office”, providing online absence and holiday management for Microsoft Office and Office 365 users, at the CIPD HR Software Show in London.
Appogee Leave provides a simple and intuitive online booking system for employees to request annual leave, log all types of absence and sickness as well as track their remaining allowance. Automated notifications enable managers to approve or reject requests in one click whilst the application gives them visibility of absences for their whole team. On demand reporting also helps HR Managers to reduce administrative burden, monitor absence requests and identify problem absenteeism.
CleverTouch, Europe's largest Marketing Automation (MA) consultancy, has developed a cloud app, CleverTouch Powershot, which enables all marketers to build, design and request approval for email sends via Eloqua and other MA platforms.
Charities can now easily and securely manage files in the cloud
16th June 2015 – Technology Trust has announced that Box.org (Box’s initiative to empower nonprofits with technology to achieve their missions) has joined the tt-exchange programme. This will give UK charities access to 10 Box licenses for a fraction of the regular list price.
This two-part series will focus on the factors you must consider in order to create a successful content marketing program. This first article focuses on strategy, expectations, funding and resources. The second article in this series will focus on promotion, and target audience.
Akamai Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ: AKAM), the global leader in content delivery network (CDN) services, has today announced that Fruugo.com, the global online shopping marketplace that simplifies cross-border shopping, is using Akamai's Web Performance Solutions to provide consistently superior online experiences for all Fruugo customers as it expands its global network.
The market has a wide variety of content management systems that have different capabilities. Some content management systems are designed with a particular end in mind.
There are a lot of arguments for and against open source and proprietary CMSs. Depending on your budget abilities, the size of your company and rules governing compliance in your company, you might opt for a proprietary CMS. But if your organization is small, you might opt for an open source CMS.
Below are more details on the pros and cons of both proprietary and open source CMSs.
Flexera Software, the leading provider of software licensing, compliance and installation solutions for application producers and enterprises, announced today the launch of InstallShield 2015.
The enterprise gains a powerful springboard for innovation in content-driven E-Commerce experiences today, as leading Web Content Management vendor Hippo and commercetools, provider of cloud-based E-Commerce platform SPHERE.IO join forces in a technical alliance.